Medical Coder | Longview, WA
COWLITZ INDIAN TRIBE
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Schedule: Monday through Friday
Location: Longview, WA
Opening Date: February 20,2019
Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closing Date: March 4, 2019 or until filled
Position Summary: This is a full-time position with the Cowlitz Indian Tribe. The position is located at the Longview, Washington site in the Health Records Department. This position is responsible for providing support to all Cowlitz Indian Tribal Health Services programs including mental health, substance use disorder and the medical clinic. This position provides remote support to Vancouver and Tukwila sites also.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Other duties may be assigned)
- Enters data into Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Reviews claims data to ensure that that assigned codes meet legal and medical standards for documentation.
- Ensures that medical notes are complete.
- Ensures that letter and number codes are correct for medical treatments, diagnoses, and medications
- Recommends code and documentation changes to providers
- Utilizes electronic notifications to flag issues with provider deficiencies.
- Audits records to ensure that ICD 10, HCPCS and CPT code is correct, and documentation is consistent with the code.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains confidential patient information and medical records as required by the Federal Privacy Act and Tribal Policies
Education and/or Experience
- A high school diploma or equivalent. Associates Degree preferred
- Possess Certified Professional Coder preferred or must attain within 1 year of employment
- One year of experience working in medical records department
- Must have knowledge of medical coding ICD10, HCPCS and CPT codes
- Familiarity with EHR system and the scanning peripherals used for scanning records in to the EHR system
- Must be able to type 40 words per minute
- Must be well organized and be a self-starter
- Understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology
- Must submit and pass drug screening and criminal background check
The Cowlitz Indian Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and a Drug & Alcohol-Free workplace.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, Section 472 which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or membership or non-membership in an employee organization.
Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 2547