Wellness & Diabetes Program
- Promote whole health through the provision of programming, education, resources, and partnership to individuals and the community
- Support Cowlitz Tribal food sovereignty efforts and address food insecurity among tribal members and clients
- Support other CIT programs in the provision of wellness services
- Promote quitting commercial tobacco among youth and adults
- Increase access to native best practice cessation support in quitting nicotine products including commercial tobacco, vaping, chewing and nicotine salt products
Health Clinic Services
- Diabetes self-management education (DSME): visits with a Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist. These one-on-one visits are aimed at helping you reach your individualized health care goals. Visits can be held in-person or via telehealth.
- Education and support for blood pressure management, weight loss and improving food and activity choices. These are also individual visits that can be held in person or via telehealth.
- Professional continuous glucose monitoring and remote physiologic monitoring technology. These services allow for our clinicians to work closely with our patients to help improve blood sugar management.
- Tobacco cessation counseling, in-person or via telehealth.
- Virtual diabetes support groups for anyone living with diabetes/pre-diabetes or their caregivers. Join us for these informal sessions to make connections and find support.
- PreventT2 (Diabetes Prevention Program), a 12-month lifestyle change program to help participants eat better, move more, and achieve a healthier weight.
- Virtual and in-person health education classes, including grocery store tours, nutrition seminars, exercise programs, and cooking demonstrations .
- Garden produce distribution to multiple locations throughout Washington.
- Garden programs at the Tribal Garden in Toledo, including an annual youth internship, gardening classes, festivals, and work parties.
- Cowlitz Tribal Health Walk is an annual event in Longview at Lake Sacajawea and is a celebration of community, culture and wellness. There are vendors, drumming, raffle prizes, and snacks, in addition to the walk around the lake.
Health Clinic Services, such as individual diabetes and health education visits, are available by CIT Medical Clinic primary care provider referral.
Wellness activities, such as community programs, group health education classes and events, are generally open to all Cowlitz Tribal Members, CIT staff, CIT clients and family of the above.
Garden produce is available to all Cowlitz Tribal Members, native elders and any clients of HHS services who are faced with food insecurity.
Sign up here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CITgarden