COWLITZ INDIAN TRIBE
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKER
Title: Community Health Worker
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm
Location: Tukwila, Wa
Opening Date: Oct 3, 2018
Salary Range: $15.00 to $20.00 per hour DOQ
Closing Date: Open until filled
Position Summary: The Community Health Worker (CHW) will be responsible for helping patients engage in Medically-Assisted Treatment (MAT) by assisting patients and their families to navigate and access community services, other resources, and to adopt healthy behaviors. The CHW supports providers and the Nurse Care Manager through an integrated approach to care management and community outreach, bridging patients and needed services by providing transportation, assisting patients in accessing external medical and social service resources such as primary care and related resources.
- Directly transport and/or help patients connect with transportation resources between the Cowlitz Tribal Health Seattle MAT program and external agencies such as in-patient treatment facilities, primary care, pharmacies, and related destinations.
- Work closely with Transportation staff to access vehicles as necessary as well as to obtain external transportation resources such as bus and train tickets, Hope Link transport, and other transportation resources.
- Pick up prescriptions when necessary.
- Assist patients in completing applications and registration forms, securing appointments for services required for in-patient services such as TB tests and test results, detox services, and related.
- Provide referrals as directed by the Nurse Care Manager to external agencies and resources.
- Provide ongoing follow-up, basic motivational interviewing and positive communication with patients.
- Assist patients who have relapsed to re-engage in services through basic motivational interviewing, positive communication and support in reconnecting with MAT and other Cowlitz staff.
- Follow-up with patients via phone calls, home visits and visits to other settings where patients can be found. Follow-up should be continuous from initial assignment through closure or discharge, and subsequently for re-engagement where necessary and as directed by the Nurse Care Manager.
- Document all services in the electronic health record or other database(s) within 24 hours of service or as directed by the Nurse Care Manager. Prepare reports as directed.
- Participate in case staffing, consult and other forms of staff collaboration and care coordination as directed.
- Attend regular staff meetings, trainings, and meetings external to the MAT program as directed.
- Manage assigned caseload of patients.
- Exhibit excellent working relationships with patients, staff, visitors and anyone who comes in contact with our clinic, effectively projecting the mission and vision of the Health and Human Services Department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Bachelors or Associates degree in a health services or related studies preferred.
- Successful completion of Community Health Worker training offered by the State of Washington or a college or other educational institution is required within the first six months of employment. (This training will not be a cost to the employee).
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft applications such as WORD, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience in the American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) community is highly desirable. Has strong working knowledge of Indian culture, Indian Country, tribal behavioral health and social service systems, and tribal government structure, or commitment to learn.
- Acceptance of Medically-Assisted Treatment as the standard of care for addiction medicine.
- Respects confidentiality, has good judgment, and can work with many other personality types, e.g., is candid and willing to voice his/her opinion assertively and respectfully
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, demonstrated ability to communicate both orally and in writing in an effective and timely manner
- Has ability to move 25-30 lb. items
- Dependable transportation w/ Valid Driver’s license
- Must submit to and pass a criminal background and debarment check and drug testing
The Cowlitz Indian Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and a Drug & Alcohol-Free workplace.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, Section 472 which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or membership or non-membership in an employee organization.
Please mail resume and cover letter to:
Cowlitz Indian Tribe Cowlitz Tribal Health Seattle
1055 9th Ave. 15455 65th Ave South
Longview, WA 98632 Tukwila, WA 98188