FACILITIES MAITENANCE/CUSTODIAN WORKER
COWLITZ INDIAN TRIBE
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
Title: FACILITIES MAINTENANCE\CUSTODIAL WORKER
Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Location: Cowlitz Tribal Housing, Toledo, WA
Opening Date: March 7, 2018
Classification: Part time (may lead to full time)
Salary Range: $12.00 to $15.00 per hour DOQ
Closing Date: Open until filled
Position Summary: The job of Facilities Maintenance Worker was established for the purpose/s of providing maintenance/custodial services as needed and/or assigned; assisting in a wide variety of maintenance activities; addressing immediate operational and/or safety concerns; assisting skilled trades; and ensuring that tools, materials and vehicles are maintained in good working order and are available when needed.
- Maintains CITH buildings and grounds areas as needed and/or assigned for the purpose of providing an effective working/living environment, preventing damage and/or limiting liability exposure.
- Provides the following custodial services to all CITH facilities
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming them.
- Gather and empty trash.
- Service, clean, and supply restrooms.
- Clean and polish furniture and fixtures.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
- Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment.
- Make adjustments and minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing, and electrical systems.
- Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Steam-clean or shampoo carpets.
- Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors.
- Drive vehicles required to perform or travel to cleaning work, including vans, industrial trucks, or industrial vacuum cleaners.
- Monitor building security and safety by performing such tasks as locking doors after operating hours and checking electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created.
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks.
- Mow and trim lawns and shrubbery, using mowers and hand and power trimmers, and clear debris from grounds.
- Notify managers concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems.
- Remove snow from sidewalks, driveways, and parking areas, using snowplows, snow blowers, and snow shovels, and spread snow melting chemicals.
- Arranges furniture and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparations for special events.
- Coordinates with assigned supervisor(s) for the purpose of completing projects and work orders efficiently.
- Assists skilled maintenance workers with projects (e.g. transporting and/or securing materials, completing specific tasks, etc.) for the purpose of completing projects in a safe, efficient manner.
- Maintains systems in all housing units and offices (e.g. lighting, heating and ventilating systems, alarms, plumbing, security, electrical panels, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe environment.
- Maintains CITH vehicles, tools, and equipment for the purpose of ensuring availability in safe operating condition.
- Participates in meetings, workshops, trainings, and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Performs a wide variety of general and semi-skilled maintenance activities (e.g. carpentry, painting, electrical, etc.) for the purpose of completing projects within established time frames.
- Prepares written materials (e.g. repair status, activity logs, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and/or conveying information.
- Repairs furniture and building system components for the purpose of ensuring a safe working condition.
- Responds to emergency situations during and after hours for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
- Transports a variety of tools, equipment and supplies for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
- Perform preventive maintenance, repair, and installation in connection with:
- electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems.
- exterior and interior of buildings.
- facilities grounds.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of all CITH facilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch; or crawl; and talk; or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to occasionally loud.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and one year of responsible experience in building and mechanical equipment maintenance and repair; or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience. Good skill in the use of hand and power tools.
- Must submit to and pass a criminal background check and drug test
The Cowlitz Indian Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and a Drug & Alcohol-Free workplace.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, Section 472 which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the
Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national
origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or membership or non-membership in an employee
Please mail resume to:
Human Resources Department
Cowlitz Indian Tribe
P.O. Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632