Cowlitz Indian Tribe
Human Resource Director
Title: Human Resource Director
Schedule: Monday - Friday
Salary Range: $40.00 to $65.00 per hour DOE
Opening Date: April 1, 2021
Closing Date: April 14, 2021 or until filled
Develops policy, directs, and coordinates human resources activities such as compensation, classification, benefits, training, and employee relations for Cowlitz Indian Tribe. The Cowlitz Indian Tribe employee policies and procedures along with Title 17, guides this position.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities include the following, and other related duties as assigned.
- Enhances the organization's human resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices.
- Maintains the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions.
- Supports organization staff by establishing a recruiting, testing, and interviewing program; counseling managers on candidate selection; conducting and analyzing exit interviews; and recommending changes.
- Manages a pay plan by conducting periodic pay surveys; scheduling and managing job evaluations; preparing pay budgets; monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions; and recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions.
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by providing training managers on coaching and discipline employees.
- Implements employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends; recommending benefit programs to management; directing the processing of benefit claims; obtaining and evaluating benefit contract bids; awarding benefit contracts, and designing and conducting educational programs on benefit programs.
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements, conducting investigations, maintaining records, and representing the organization at hearings.
- Enforces management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures.
- Retains historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system and keeping past and current records.
- Cultivates professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, and participating in tribal professional forums.
- Manages human resource staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Advances human resource staff job results by planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding the complexity of tribal laws, regulations, and policies governing human resources.
- Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices.
- Proven experience as HR officer, administrator. or other HR position
- Knowledge of HR functions (pay & benefits, recruitment, training & development, etc.)
- Understanding of labor laws and disciplinary procedures
- Proficient in MS Office; knowledge of HRMS is a plus
- Outstanding organizational and time-management abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving and decision-making aptitude
- Strong ethics and reliability
- Bachelor's Degree plus five (5) years of work experience with additional Human Resource training.
- Five (5) years experience with Tribal Personnel /Human Resources.
- Five (5) years of experience in management or supervisory duties.
- SCRM-CP or SCRM-SCP or Tribal Human Resource Professional (THRP) certification within 180 days of employment.
This position directly supervises Human Resource employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Requirements: Must submit to and pass a criminal background check and drug screen.
Please mail or fax resume and cover letter to:
Cowlitz Indian Tribe
Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632
Fax: (360) 578-1641