COWLITZ INDIAN TRIBE
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm
Location: Longview, WA
Classification: Full Time (Exempt)
Reports To: CFO
Opening Date: July 11, 2018
Salary Range: $80K to $120K Annual DOQ
Closing Date: Open until filled
Position Summary: The Controller assists the CFO with the Tribe’s overall financial plans, policies and budgets. This person ensures the fund accounting system is accurate, efficient and in accordance with professional accounting practices and regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to:
- Supervises the Accounting Staff to insure the compliance of GAAP.
- The Controller oversees with the supervision of the CFO to insure budgets, audit, fund accounting systems meets professional standards.
- By the use of sound internal controls, internal auditing and proper insurance coverage, protects Tribal Assets.
- Reviews and approves journal entries for monthly and year end reconciliations.
- Ensures fund accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll activities are carried properly carried out.
- Works with the Accounting Staff to maintain accounting records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) standards and practices to ensure all year-end accounts are properly reconciled and ready for audit. Manages and coordinates annual audit with auditing firm.
- Oversee and monitor budgets to meet grant manager’s needs.
- Keeps Tribal Executives informed of the Tribe’s performance and provides advice on financial matters.
- Prepare annual financial statements and reports that meet Federal requirements.
- Assists the CFO with financial planning and maintenance by:
- Preparing short and long-range plans.
- Monitoring fund sources and uses to meet budgets in accordance of grant and award goals.
- Forecasting short and long-range cash requirements to assure adequate funds are available to meet Tribal needs.
- Prepares pre-development and development budgets and pro-formas and assists the directors and project managers with preparation of projects.
- Reviews approved budgets and exercises accounting controls to ensure expenditures do not exceed amounts authorized and availability of funds.
- Works with Project Managers to re-forecast budgets as required.
- Recommends techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs and take advantage of opportunities.
This position reports to the CFO. Controller uses independent judgment to carry out functions to meet stated requirements. Work is periodically reviewed for compliance with applicable laws and guidelines.
Guidelines are GAAP regulations, and various other funding agency accounting requirements. Work is also performed within the Administration, Health and Human Services and Accounting
Supervises (9) subordinate employees in the Accounting department. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Tribe’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, or Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with concentration in Accounting.
- Certified Public Accountant License – WA State or reciprocal eligible
- Three years of supervisory experience.
- Three years of supervisory experience.
At least three years’ experience in fiscal management of governmental, fund and/or cost and entrepreneurial business accounting.
- Experience and working knowledge of all accounting cycle functions.
- Experience with integrated accounting software in general, and Abila MIP specifically, preferred.
- Experience with grant accounting and OMB super circular compliance
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, Section 472 which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or membership or non-membership in an employee organization.
Please mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Cowlitz Indian Tribe
P.O. Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632