COWLITZ INDIAN TRIBE
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
TRIBAL BENEFITS COORDINATOR
Title: Tribal Benefits Coordinator
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm
Location: Longview, WA
Opening Date: April 4, 2018
Salary Range: $18.00 to $22.00
Closing Date: April 18, 2018 or until filled
Position Summary: This position will perform varied administrative and secretarial support duties and is responsible for the Cowlitz Tribal Tuition Assistance Program and other Tribal Benefits. As the primary in-office contact for the Tuition Assistance Program; the incumbent represents the Education Committee and facilitates Tribal member’s access to the program. This position will be expanded to include other Tribal Benefits.
Essential Functions: Other duties may be assigned:
- Respond to program questions verbally and in written communication…e-mail, letter, postcard following established policies and procedures.
- When appropriate, refer comments, questions, and concerns regarding Cowlitz education program to chair/vice-chair of Education Committee.
- Monitor education e-mail (and respond to questions or, if appropriate, forward to committee chair/vice-chair.
- Oversee education page including list of scholarships and other education opportunities on Cowlitz website to assure connections are active and current.
- At the Education Committee’s request, attend meetings and provide written reports to the committee. All travel must be pre-approved by Education Committee.
- Coordinates the operation of the Tuition Assistance Program.
- Assists in devising Tuition Assistance Program forms and procedures to ensure adherence to Education Committee Policies and Procedures to include:
- Annual update tuition assistance application forms.
- Process application to include:
- Review for completeness.
- Forward to committee for approval.
- Notify applicant of successful application and process to request payment.
- Review request for payment and documents and prepare purchase orders for payment.
- Develop and maintain database of applicants for Tuition Assistance and other Tribal Benefits.
- Develop and maintain tracking system for academic year payments and other Tribal Benefits to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Establishes procedures and interprets and applies administrative policies to the work of the Education Committee and other Tribal Benefits.
- Develops cost estimates for equipment needs and projects.
- Participates in budget preparation; develops budget estimates; monitors budget status and expenditures.
- Develop and maintain spreadsheets for revenue and expenditures.
- Review monthly accounting reports and justify with benefit spreadsheets.
- Prepare monthly activity/budget reports to Education Committee Chair/Vice-chair
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to develop forms, databases, and reports.
- Assist with budget development and management.
- Expenditure control including monthly reports to committee Chair/Vice-Chair
- Assist with records management.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- A strong desire to help others.
- Higher Education financial aid practices.
- Office procedures and practices.
- Business budget management practices.
- Data collection.
- Communication and correspondence practices.
Education and experience:
- Candidate must have a high school diploma or equivalent and 2 years of college.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in office/clerical, secretarial, bookkeeping, accounting, or general administrative work.
- Formal education may substitute year-for-year for experience.
- Must submit to and pass criminal background checks a pre-employment and if hired random drug test.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality
The Cowlitz Indian Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and a Drug & Alcohol-Free workplace.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, Section 472 which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or membership or non-membership in an employee organization.
Please mail resume to:
Human Resources Department
Cowlitz Indian Tribe
P.O. Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632