COWLITZ INDIAN TRIBE
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Title: HEALTH/DIABETES EDUCATOR
Schedule: Monday through Friday
Location: Longview, Washington
Classification: Full time
Opening Date: May 24, 2017
Salary Range: $63,800- $82,956 plus benefit package
Closing Date: Open until filled
Position Summary: This is a full-time exempt position within the Cowlitz Indian Tribe’s Health and Human Services Department in Longview, WA. This position is responsible for the administration, management and guidance for health education, diabetes prevention and the employee wellness program. This position also supports services located in Tukwila, Longview and Vancouver, Washington. This is a non-supervisory position. Incumbent is directly supervised by the Clinic Manager. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works with multi-disciplinary team to develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive community health education program.
- Develops culturally appropriate educational materials for patients.
- Develops lesson plans for health education/disease prevention and diabetes education groups.
- Works individually with patients to develop a treatment plan that incorporates behavioral and treatment goals to improve health outcomes and reduce complications from diabetes.
- Teaches patients how to self-manage their disease.
- Recommends policies, standards of care and practice for diabetes specific care.
- Researches innovative methods to address diabetes and healthful living styles
- Educates patients on the necessary lifestyle changes involved in diabetes diagnosis, including nutrition, medication, physical activity and glucose testing
- Develops one employee wellness activities.
- Manages Special Diabetes Prevention Initiative for the Cowlitz Indian Tribe.
- Responsible for ensuring that diabetes measures are met per the Government Performance and Results Act.
- Seeks funding opportunities to improve the wellness of American/Indian Alaska Native community members near Longview, Tukwila, and Vancouver locations.
- Presents diabetes needs for Cowlitz Tribal Health and Human Services at local and regional meetings.
- Develops age appropriate health education and diabetes prevention activities for the American Indian/ Alaska Native population with special care to include practices and customs of Northwest Indian Tribes.
- Makes presentations and educational sessions for variety of socio-economic groups, genders, and ages.
- Assesses nutritional status and develop individualized plans that meet the needs of patients and cultural foods.
- Interprets medical information of patients to recommend dietary changes.
- Prepares annual health education plan of operation for community and employees.
- Documents all interventions with patient into the electronic health record
- Receives referrals from providers and nurses.
- Assists patients with nutritional education and healthful living.
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree that meets the requirements to obtain Certification as a Diabetes Educator (CDE). Dietetics, Nutrition, or Nursing preferred
Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in discipline of degree (i.e. nursing or dietician);
Supervisor documentation for a minimum of 600 hours of Diabetes Self-Management Education within the last 3 years
Must pass Certified Diabetes Exam within first year of employment
One or more years’ experience in patient care as a CDE is preferred.
Experience working with American Indian/Alaska Native population preferred.
The Cowlitz Indian Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and a Drug & Alcohol-Free workplace.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, Section 472 which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or membership or non-membership in an employee organization.
Please mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Cowlitz Indian Tribe
P.O. Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632