COWLITZ INDIAN TRIBE
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Title: Medical Biller
Schedule: Monday through Friday
Location: Longview, WA
Classification: Full time
Opening Date: March 8, 2017
Salary Range: $15.00 to $18.00 DOE
Closing Date: March 22, 2017 or until filled
Position Summary: Position Summary: This is a support position located in the Health Department of the Cowlitz Indian Tribe. This position supports the billing operations for all programs in the Health Department which includes chemical dependency, mental health and clinical operations. This is a full time position with responsibilities for collecting, posting and managing third party insurance account payments.
Essential Functions: Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepares and submits medical claims including but not limited to Mental Health, Chemical Dependency, and Family Practice.
- Performs claims follow up, post payments, prepare patient statements, verify eligibility and obtain prior authorizations.
- Must be knowledgeable about insurance carrier websites and how to obtain the information when needed.
- Have knowledge on how to read a Remittance Advice or Explanation of Benefits.
- Highly skilled in reviewing documentation for proper coding.
- Provides support to patients and staff on billing issues.
- Identifies and resolves patient billing concerns.
- Reviews accounts for possible assignment and makes recommendations to the supervisor, also prepares information for the collection agency.
- Participates in educational activities and attend monthly staff meetings.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality: adheres to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations
- Must possess excellent time management skills and be a self-starter.
- Provides direct support for the administrative activities of the Cowlitz Tribal Health Receptionist and Patient Benefits Counselor and Contract Health including billing support, eligibility determinations, data gathering or collection, and writing of reports.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent with at least two (2) years’ experience in medical billing or medical office experience.
- Accurately type 60 words per minute, including 10 key
- Certification in coding highly desirable.
- Basic coding knowledge and medical terminology education required.
- Have knowledge of coding rules, documentation rules, OIG rules, CMS rules, HIPAA and/or be willing to learn these rules and follow them carefully within one month of hire.
- Must have strong communication and customer service skills for working with internal and external customers.
- Must have working knowledge of office equipment such as fax machine, copier, scanner, etc.
- Intermediate skill in using Microsoft Office products, primarily Word and Excel.
- Must submit and pass drug screening and criminal background check.
The Cowlitz Indian Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and a Drug & Alcohol-Free workplace.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, Section 472 which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the
Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national
origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or membership or non-membership in an employee
Please mail resume to:
PO Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632
Select for PDF